My Cousin Vinny (1992) is a feature film written by Dale Launer and directed by Jonathan Lynn.
Beats include approximate starting times in H:MM format.
Act I: Enter the unknown.
- 1 OPEN FRAME
- 0:00 Bill and Stan drive past signs reading
Welcome to Alabamaand
Dirt for sale.
- 0:00 A book cover reads College Handbook 1991.
- 0:00-0:02 Bill and Stan drive a convertible over rolling hills.
- 5 SET PINS
- 0:04 Police arrest Bill and Stan.
- 10 RELEASE HERO
- 0:09 Bill calls his mother to ask for an attorney. Bill's mother says his cousin Vinny will represent them for free.
- (implied) Vinny and Lisa depart from Brooklyn.
- 12 LET IT SLIDE
- 0:12 Vinny and Lisa set foot in Beechum County, AL.
- 0:11-0:22 Vinny and Lisa ignore a stop sign, speed across train tracks, and play loud music. Vinny wears unlawyerly attire, puts his feet on Judge Haller's desk, and lies about his legal experience.
- 0:13 Vinny and Lisa ignore the stares of locals and disregard a local man's advice about
mud in the tires.
- 0:20 Judge Haller lectures Vinny about procedure in his office.
- 25 ROLL ON RUG
- 0:24 A steam whistle forces Vinny and Lisa to wake up early.
- 0:26 Vinny cautiously eats his first grit.
- 0:31 Judge Haller embarrasses Vinny and finds him in contempt.
Act II: Return to the known.
- 30 FALL INTO PIT
- 0:32 Vinny goes to jail. Lisa bails him out.
- 0:34-0:37 Lisa wins $200 for bail money playing pool, but her opponent JT is neither willing nor able to pay.
- 40 LOOK UNDER HOOD
- 0:39 Lisa practices cross-examination with Vinny in a motel room.
- 50 GAZE INTO VOID
- 0:52 Lights flicker as a prisoner is killed by electrocution.
- 55 LIFT AND DROP
- 0:54 Vinny completes some studying and gets some rest.
- 0:54 Vinny and Lisa are awakened at 5:00 AM by a passing freight train which rattles their entire room.
- 60 ENTER TUNNEL
- 0:59 Vinny goes hunting with Trotter.
- 1:02-1:10 Vinny is investigated by Judge Haller, Lisa nags Vinny about her biological clock, a screech owl awakens Vinny and Lisa, Vinny and Lisa sleep in the car, the car becomes stuck in mud, Vinny drops his suit in mud, everyone at the town's only 24-hour cleaners has the flu, the only available suit is a horrible maroon tuxedo, Vinny and Lisa arrive to court late, and Vinny is found in contempt.
- 75 TALK TO SOURCE
- 1:15 Trial begins. Vinny addresses the jury directly.
- 85 ARREST HERO
- 1:29 Trotter calls an FBI vehicle specialist to the stand.
- 1:32 Judge Haller learns that Vinny's alter-ego
Jerry Gallois, as Lisa had already discovered, deceased.
Act III: Finish the job.
- 90 ENLIGHTEN HERO
- 1:38 Vinny realizes that one of Lisa's photos can be used to prove that Bill and Stan were mistakenly identified.
- 100 ROLL AGAIN
- 1:39 Vinny calls Lisa to the stand as an automotive expert and cross-examines her as a hostile witness.
- 110 RETURN AGAIN
- 1:45 Lisa realizes that Vinny is publicly accepting and acknowledging her assistance with the case.
- 1:54 Vinny and Lisa argue about wedding plans.
- 120 UPDATE SCORE
- 1:54 Vinny and Lisa drive a convertible over rolling hills.